Week 7 of your farm share has arrived! The variety that the boxes will bring you this week will surely bring a lovely mix up to your meals all week long 🙂
The carrots are big and beautiful-and we also have collard greens! I must admit I’ve never really known what to do with them but there are quite a few options other than just cutting them off their stems and sauteing them up or adding them to salad. This weeks recipe is a wonderful side (or I’m sure you could add more meat to them and make them a main dish similar to cabbage rolls) that I can’t wait to make!
Here is a link to the recipe: Note that they are using frozen collard greens but we have fresh ones so I’m sure it will be even more amazing 🙂
- collard greens
- 8 ounces of chicken stock
- 1 tsp. of granulated garlic ,crushed red pepper, onion powder and kosher salt. (salt will not be added until greens are cooked)
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 strips of thick cut nitrate free bacon roughly chopped
- egg roll wrappers
- In a cast iron pot fry bacon until crispy remove from pan add onion cook until translucent, add greens seasonings and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about an hour until tender. Let cool drain and add salt and bacon. Taste greens for seasoning and salt adjustments.
- In a 12 inch frying pan add enough oil to fill pan half way. I use safflower oil do not use olive oil. Heat oil to about 315-325 degrees. Roll your egg rolls. Fry turning constantly until golden brown about 12 min. Makes 10 egg rolls.
If you have a yummy unique recipe to share please feel free to share it in the comments section. I know there are many great cooks out there who are receiving the farm share boxes and we’d love to see and hear what you are making with the veggies you get in your boxes 🙂