This week was an exciting one as all 3 of the farm owners, the owner of farm share (myself), and our littlest sprout were able to take a couple days away at the Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Convention in Niagara Falls. We go to this conference most years, but I especially enjoyed this one. I learned more about Jerusalem artichokes, the funky tubers in your veggie bins this week.
Some fun facts: the are indigenous to North America and one of the first cultivated plants in North America. The First Nations People were already using it in 1605 when it was first recorded by early settlers.
What was even more exciting to discover was that they are rich in inulin, a prebiotic that is stellar for our digestive and immune systems! I’ve learned you can make them into pickles, but for now, a creamy soup is the perfect way to enjoy these tubers.
Here’s a tip from fellow customer, environmentalist, herbalist, and overall awesome person Gloria:
“I made the most delicious sunchoke soup with the first winter veggie delivery. Didn’t peel, only washed well and scrubbed. Added leek, garlic, celery and a half bunch of kale.. Puréed in blender. Very elegant.”
I myself was torn between making butternut squash soup and jerusalem artichoke soup this week, having both items in our shares, so I decided on…both! I was excited to get all these nutrients into my family, from the grown-ups, to the kids, to the baby!
Butternut Squash & Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
- 1 2lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed. (See photo for how I do this)
- 1lb Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed (I used a Norwex veggie and fruit cloth. A nylon bristle brush also works) and cubed
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 cube chicken boullion
- 3/4 tsp stevia
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut milk (optional) (from the carton or can- your choice)
- Place all ingredients except coconut milk in a slow cooker on high. Cook 4-5 hours.
- Transfer to blender or blend with immersion blender, being extra cautious with the hot liquid.
- Pour in coconut milk and mix. Enjoy!
In your shares this week:
- butternut squash 2-4lbs
- 1.5lbs zucchini
- 2lbs carrots (Zephyr)
- 2lbs red beets (Zephyr)
- 2lbs purple top turnip (Zephyr)
- 1lbs Jerusalem artichokes (Zephyr)
- small package Cremini mushrooms (Ontario organic!)
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch broccoli or 1 head cauliflower
- 2.5lbs bananas
- 1 red watermelon
- 6 apples (Fuji, BC)
- 4 oranges
- 4 avocadoes