Winter Share Delivery 2 (Nov 28/29, 2017)
Winter share Delivery 2
I’m getting in the Christmas mood, and I don’t think I’m alone: I was admiring the festive decorations I saw at many of your homes. Even if you do not celebrate Christmas, I hope you find opportunity to be generous to warm up your surroundings in this cool weather.
Your veggies this week:
-1 head red cabbage
-1lb baby bokchoy (the last of the season)
-1lb bunch collard greens (also last of the season from our farm)
-2lbs purple top turnip (instead of the spinach, which was sadly frozen 🙁
3lbs gala apples (QC)
1/2 pint blueberries
We had to make a couple changes to our original plan due to availability.
I’m guessing I don’t have to tell you what to do with cauliflower or carrots, but I figured red cabbage might be a little out of your comfort zones. To be honest, I generally resort to some sort of slaw with it, which is great, but I was looking to mix it up. I found many similar recipes, but settled on this one due to its quicker cooking time. Check out the recipe for Red Cabbage and Apples
I also tried making Sweet Potato Pizza Crust (gluten free) with the yams. Here are some pics of making it.
Sweet Potato Crust Pizza w/BBQ Chicken from www.bakosweet.com
- 3lbs sweet potatoes (or yams)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 cup pre cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 egg (I used a flax egg)
- 1 cup almond flour (I used Brown rice flour and had to increase the amount)
- are 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or paste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook bake sweet potatoes until soft (40 mins or so)
- Peel sweet potatoes and add to large mixing bowl with 1 cup almond flour, 1 egg, spices and apple cider vinegar. Mash ingredients together until well combined and dough like.
- Use rubber spatula to spread on pizza stone until evenly distributed 1/3 inch thick (I used a fork and spread on parchment paper on a cookie sheet).
- Cook dough at 400 degrees for 30 mins.
- While dough is baking, shred 1 cup cooked chicken, chop 1 cup spinach, and Sautee on onion until soft.
- Remove pizza dough from oven. Let cool 20 mins to harden. Spread bbq and tomato sauce on top. Add cheese on top.
- Cover pizza with chicken mixture.
- Return pizza to oven and cook another 10-13 minutes. Slice and ebjoy.
Is anyone overwhelmed by 3lbs of bananas? I can’t seem to keep them in my house. Between easy snacks, slicing and adding to breakfasts and making great gluten free vegan pancakes and treats, my dreams of peeling them and throwing them in zip locks in the freezer for smoothies are often dashed. I love the versatility of a banana! If you haven’t tried that yet, they freeze beautiful with the skins off. There is no need to let even one go to waste!
Well that’s it for this delivery. Let the prepping (and eating…) begin!